Salzgitter Mannesmann Forschung GmbH is the central research company of the Salzgitter Group. Employing about 280 members of staff active at 7 main departments at the Salzgitter and Duisburg locations, SZMF conducts extensive, in-depth research and development work revolving around the material steel.
R&D activities concentrate mainly on the following key areas
- The development of new materials and application areas Processes for the manufacture,
- processing and application of metallic materials
- Material and component characterization including testing techniques
- Application technology from component design through to metal forming and on to joining technology
- Surface technology with refining systems and their characteristics from visual aspects through to corrosion resistance
- Automation and testing techniques, as well as the construction of non-destructive testing facilities
At the Salzgitter location, the research emphasis is on hot-rolled and cold-rolled products, while activities in Duisburg focus more on the tubes, sections and heavy plate areas.
Apart from Salzgitter AG companies, the customer roster includes numerous leading corporations from a wide range of industrial sectors such as the automotive industry, machine building and plant engineering, as well as energy engineering and the construction industry.