Research and Development
Salzgitter Mannesmann Forschung GmbH is the central research company of the Salzgitter Group. It was formed through bundling the research activities of Mannesmann Forschungsinstitut (MFI) and the materials center of Salzgitter Flachstahl GmbH. The new research company employs about 320 members of staff and ranks as one of the leading European research institutions in the steel area.
The R&D activities concentrate mainly on the following key areas.
- Processes for the manufacturing, processing and application of metallic materials and the products manufactured on the basis of these materials (such as flat steel products, tubes and pipes, and sections)
- Development of new materials (such as new high strength steel, steels for high temperatures or corrosion-resistant and Cr-steels)
- Development of new utilization and application areas
- Material and component characterization and materials testing
- Application and engineering technologies, ranging from component design to materials working and metal forming technologies, joining and adhesion technologies, all the way and through to corrosion protection
- Automation and testing technologies, as well as the construction of non-destructive testing facilities
- Consulting, expert opinions and reports
Innovative, versatile and flexible: steel is one of the most important industrial materials. Drawing on more than 70 years experience at the Duisburg and Salzgitter research locations, Salzgitter Mannesmann Forschung commands a broad foundation of knowledge and is therefore ideally positioned to enhance the properties of this unique material and its processing technologies, as well as opening up new utilization and application areas.