Materials Technology - Tubes and Pipes, Sections and Heavy Plate
In interdisciplinary work, three departments process all aspects of materials development and characterization, heat treatments, joining technology (with a focus on arc and laser welding procedures) as well as corrosion, with a focus on hydrogen-induced corrosion mechanisms, conventional corrosion, corrosion protection and coating technology.
The material range covers all metallic materials from the areas of low-alloyed and high-alloyed steels as well as special alloys, including nickel-based alloys. Non-ferrous metals such as aluminum, copper and magnesium materials are processed if required.
Materials research at the Duisburg location concentrates primarily on issues involving the materials and their processing technology for seamless and welded tubes, heavy plates and various profiles and structures.
Our highly qualified, internationally experienced scientists have laboratories with advanced, state of the art equipment at their disposal:
- Metallography (also component metallography)
- Electron microscopy (including FEREM and microprobe with EBSD)
- Chemical analysis
- Coating technology
- Creep tests(roughly 220 individual and multiple sample test stations)
- Electrochemical corrosion laboratory
- Sour gas test (HIC and SSC with several hundred test stations)
- Welding laboratory
- Materials simulation laboratory
- Heat treatment laboratory
Some examples of main research fields in recent years are:
- Microalloyed and sour gas-resistant thermomechanically rolled large-diameter tube steels
- Computer-assisted materials modeling (CALPHAD approach, phase field method) Material characterization using modern light-optical and electron microscopic methods; EBSD and others
- Steels for boiler tubes and nickel-based alloys in power plant construction
- Seamless high strength sour gas-resistant oil field pipes and damage to them caused by hydrogen
- Pipes and shafts for the automotive segment and plant engineering
- High strength and highly tough carbon steels with bainitic basic structure
- Laser/arc hybrid methods in welding technology
Consultation services for customers with questions involving materials and applications as well as process engineering and processing technology is likewise one of the services offered in materials engineering as purely development jobs.
Further fundamental services include the preparation of failure analysis and reports, in some cases by officially appointed and sworn experts.